Home Forums QCAS Business Google Maps API Migrates to Google Cloud Platform

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Matt Neilssen
    Keymaster

How does this effect QCAS? We use Google Maps in a few places on QCAstro.org. Our calendar manager Calendarize it! uses GMaps to show venue locations and provides direct linking to GMaps on mobile devices so that people get instant customized directions to our venues via their smartphones. Also, we have a bare bones Events page that does something similar for each of the venues we are publicizing. That page is where I noticed the issue. The page still shows the Bettendorf Public Library as a venue. I’ve been banging my head for a few days trying to get the map changed to McCarthy Hall. I eventually when to Site Origin’s (the make of our mapping widgets) website to view a tutorial only to find that in order to update our API to continue using Google Maps we need a subscription!

After poking around I found that Google’s GSuite is available for non-profits for free as long as Google can verify that the non-profit is real. I’ve submitted the needed documentation and am awaiting a reply. Until then, the maps on the site are in jeopardy.

The other option is switch our maps to MapQuest. MapQuest is not free either but I’ve heard its cheaper.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.